At BW, we believe in acting for the future. We go beyond compliance, and ensure that we use resources efficiently, mitigate all environmental risks in our operations, and lower vessel emissions. BW is committed to maintaining and operating our fleet to the highest possible standards, and has invested in technology to help reduce our environmental footprint.
Shipping is the most carbon-efficient way of moving goods. It serves more than 75 per cent of global trade by carrying large quantities of cargo cost effectively, cleanly and safely. At BW, we acknowledge that this same mode of transport is a key contributor to greenhouse gas emissions. We believe members of the maritime industry must do their part to lower greenhouse gas emissions and increase energy efficiency in our operations.
At BW, our fleet management team is currently making multiple changes to improve the way energy is used. Physical changes to propellers, new paint technology, engine tuning, autopilot setting, vessel trim and weather routing are some examples of what is being done to make our ships run more efficiently, to make every drop of fuel count.
BW is committed to protecting the global environment and to minimize our environmental impact concerning all our activities, vessels and services.
In order to achieve this we shall:
- Prevent pollution and ensure zero spills to sea by evaluating risk in all our operations;
- Commit to continued reduction in harmful emission to sea, air and land;
- Keep BW certified under ISO 14001;
- Ensure compliance with regulatory, company and customer requirements and have zero tolerance for MARPOL violations;
- Educate, train and motivate employees to carry our task in an environmental responsible manner;
- Implement technology and design that can improve environmental performance of all newbuildings;
- Have a holistic view on energy management and implement energy saving initiatives, devices and operational best practices; and
- Continuously improve environmental performance by monitoring and review goals and objectives.
The most important step we can take to reduce our environmental footprint is to reduce our bunker consumption. We take actions, both large and small, to improve the way energy is consumed on our vessels and in the office.
Read more >
BW through its Gas Solutions team is working to build marine-based infrastructure to facilitate the provision of clean energy, especially gas.
Read more >